Mechanical, Electrical and Plumbing Design, Construction Administration and Commissioning Services for the new LEED Silver Certified 64,880 Sq Ft United States Consumer Products Safety Commission Laboratory, located in Rockville, MD. The major function of the facility operations is to conduct engineering analysis and testing of consumer products. The CPSC Lab Site Organization at this new facility includes three divisions:
- The Division of Mechanical Engineering includes mechanical products, toys and children’s products, sports and recreation products, and combustion appliances. A Pool & Spa (PSSA) testing lab with a 12,000 gal purpose built testing tank and a 12,000 gal. underground storage tank is included in the testing of product compliance with ASME A112.19.8 in addition to other standards.
- The Division of Electrical Engineering includes electrical products, fire and flammability, wearing apparel, upholstered furniture, mattresses, and bedding. The Flammability Lab for this project includes Analytical labs (Burn Rooms) served by canopy hoods, smoke filtration systems, and a heat release gas analysis instrumentation system for data collection suitable for 16 CFR 1633 mattress test in addition to other standards.
- The Division of Chemistry includes general chemical analysis, material analysis, fireworks, and exposure assessment for compliance with national standards.
- Review and incorporation of Owner’s Program of Requirements.
- Evaluation of existing M/E/P systems for potential modification to accommodate new space functions.
- Design of all M/E/P systems to meet LEED Silver Certification.
- Load and Energy Calculations.
- Oxygen consumption calorimetry testing system complete with canopy exhaust hood, air filtration, fan, sensors, analyzer rack, and controls.
- Combustion product testing lab with temperature exhaust, ventilation, and pressurization control of space. In addition to laboratory gas storage and distribution systems for testing and calibration functions.
- Computational Fluid Dynamics simulation and analysis of space airflow.