- 200 acres of photovoltaic panel fields
- 332,000 individual PV panels
- 34.5kV medium voltage AC collector system
- 27 custom wound 800kVA 360VAC-35kV transformers to convert the inverter outputs
- 5 miles of underground MV cables
- Medium Voltage substation for protection, metering, and interface with the local utility (First Energy)
- 34.5 kV substation included design for utility poles, insulators, aerial conductors, lightning protection & grounding, MV switching and fusing, MV breaker and metering.
Kibart also provided NEC Code compliance verification and quality/constructability review of the entire DC system:
- DC conductor calculations
- DC array ampacity and overvoltage levels
- DC ombiner system fusing and protection levels
- Inverter input/output cable sizing/selections
- NEC compliance verification
- Constructability and VE reviews for cost savings.
Kibart employed a structural engineer as part of our effort for design of the transformer/inverter pads, substation equipment foundations and footing designs for the miles of perimeter fencing installed.
During construction, Kibart provided product submittal reviews, addressed contractor RFI’s and provided a final As-Built certification inspection of the power system.
This project utilized a Design-Procure-Construct method, with First Solar/Belectric, Inc. of San Francisco, CA for Constellation Energy. The project was fast track, with the system fully operational by Dec 31, 2012, less than 8 months after the start of our design effort. Overall project cost was approximately $75,000,000.